Checklist for a Road Trip
Let me first say that the reason for this post is mainly to remind myself what I need to pack so that my travel partner doesn’t give me a look that says, “Really? You forgot to pack it? Anything else that you forgot?” ever again. Mostly because it’s an annoyed one I’d rather avoid and also because I should have been more prepared.
Who are we and where do we go?
We are people: hikers, climbers, explorers, and everything between! I’m a teacher who’s able to work remotely. He’s an engineer looking for a way into the world of self-employment. We go wherever we want, mostly whenever we want.
The purpose of this checklist is to avoid any catastrophes we endured during our most recent trip: both to Chicago and Devils Lake in Wisconsin. We have just remodeling the inside of our 4Runner so we can live out of it more comfortably. With that being said, everything that I used to store in the car was no longer within arm’s reach! I had to repack everything that we used to have in there on top of the regular things I usually pack…
I forgot some stuff… a lot of stuff… It is my hope that with this checklist (I’ve written this more for myself than my audience) that we never find ourselves without the essentials again.
Without further adieu, I present to you my essential packing checklist. Click on the links to items which interest you. All links are in fact to the same items I have purchased and put to good use on our long-term and short-term adventures!
- mtnGLO lights
- Sleeping bags
- Sleeping pads
- Bug spray
- Hydrocortisone cream
- Headlamp for him
- Headlamp for me
- First aid kit
- Levels, for a flat sleeping space at the campsites
- Water bottles
- 7 gallon water jug
(bowls, plates, eating utensils, strainer, pot, pan, spatula, can opener, cups, peeler, knife)
- Pantry Bag
- Snack Bag
- (dried mangoes, bananas, almonds, trail mix)
- Dish Bag
- Mini fold-up table
- RTIC cooler
- Ice for cooler
- Paper towels
- Sweatshirt for him, sweatshirt for me
- Rain jackets
- Shirts and tanks
- Hiking shoes, shower shoes go UP TOP IN OUR THULE STORAGE
- phone, computer, headphones, hand-held vacuum
- Baby wipes
- Contacts, contact solution, glasses, sunglasses
- Trash bags (Kroger bags work wonders, and they’re free)
- Dental Hygiene
- Tooth brushes, toothpaste, mouth wash, floss
- Hair brush, hair ties, feminine products
- Two towels, to be stored in our netting by our feet
Whew! Time to Pack!
- If you pack it, use it.
- Allow plenty of time for packing and organizing.
- Use a trusty go-to checklist during the packing process.
- HAVE FUN.
- BE SAFE. TEACH ON. CLIMB ON.
Thanks for reading! I hope you found at least part of my checklist to be helpful to you and your future endeavors. Comment below to let me know what items are on your essential packing list! I’m excited to hear from you.