First of all, what’s VIPKID?
In a nutshell, it’s only China’s leading English online teaching program known today! It’s the best way for you to connect with young kiddos eager to learn English from your expert English-speaking, energetic self! Basically, VIPKID is the dream job for anyone who is looking for flexible scheduling, ability to teach anywhere, and for a job that provides you with joy and a sense of fulfillment.
Click here for more information on VIPKID!
How much money can I earn with VIPKID?
That’s totally up to you and how open you want your schedule to be! Classes with VIPKID are one-on-one and only 25 minutes long. This means you’ll be teaching ONE student PER class PER 25 minutes. But here is the price breakdown:
- You will get paid $7-$9 per 25 minute class (pay rate depends on experience and how well you did in your interview process). You’re looking at at least $16 per hour!
What are incentives VIPKID offers for me to make more money?
Oh goodness! VIPKID is all about those incentives for us VIPKID teachers. They give incentives out the wazoo and even provide other incentives on occasion just because they want you to make more money. Here’s a super long list of incentives that help YOU make MORE money with VIPKID:
- You get $1 per class just for showing up on time, doing your best job teaching, and finishing the class with your awesome student!
- You’ll receive a monthly incentive if:
- you teach between 30-45 classes in that month: $0.50 per class
- you teach 45 or more classes in that month: $1 per class
- For any short notice classes that get booked within 24 hours, you receive an additional $2 for that short notice booking!
- $5 for any VIPKID trial class student that becomes a full time VIPKID student from your trial class!
- $100 referral AFTER that referred teacher teaches his/her first class with VIPKID
- RANDOM INCENTIVES: There were literally just TWO really great incentives given out to teachers for opening up booking slots during the popular times students typically book classes. I made an additional $59 just for opening up a few more slots! (And I got bookings, so add that money to the wallet, too!)
Told you.. INCENTIVES UP THE WAZOO! VIPKID really is an incredible company to work for. I am so happy I took a chance and stuck with it. I love what I do, who I teach, but most importantly: I AM IN CONTROL OF MY OWN SCHEDULE.
What are a VIPKID teacher’s responsibilities?
Great question! You’re probably wondering, “Okay. I get paid this much. But how much work do I have to put in?” If you’re a teacher, you know that we educators always get stuck working for free, off the clock, and sacrifice our weekends to catch up on grading papers. VIPKID is so much more different. VIPKID recognizes that we all have lives and that our primary focus should be building strong relationships with our Chinese students and supporting them in becoming confident English speakers.
No grading papers off the clock. No 45 minutes of prep time. Not even an ounce of lesson planning! Think about what the kids think the classroom teachers do: show up and teach. That’s what we do, for the most part. We show up, and we teach! It’s just that easy.
A VIPKID teacher is responsible for…
- Previewing the slides (lessons) BEFORE class. Well-seasoned teachers, this shouldn’t take you but 5 minutes or less to do. New educators (first of all, welcome!), it shouldn’t take you more than 6-7 minutes. The more lessons you teach, the more comfortable and confident you become with the formatting of the lessons, thus, decreasing your ‘preview’ time.
- Providing a supportive learning environment for ALL students at ALL times.
- Keeping it professional but positively encouraging! Parents in China expect high-quality teaching and professionalism, but they also expect you to be engaging and fun! Find a good balance 🙂
- Be on time. Teach your 25 minute class. End on a positive note with the student.
- Provide feedback for parents and students to review after you’ve taught your lesson. Yes, this is off the clock. But the feedback is formatted for you. All you have to do is provide comments (no more than 1,000 characters) at the end of the pre-formatted feedback page.
- Build rapport with your students, which will encourage them to come back and choose YOU as their regular VIPKID teacher!
- Buy/bring/make your own props to class. I have a handful of go-to props that I use most often for each lesson, despite the level I am teaching.
- Have fun! The kids feed off your energy. If you’re boring and quiet, the class and the student will be boring and quiet.
Teacher Taylor Travels Makes Money with VIPKID!
You’re probably wondering what a realistic income is for a teacher teaching through the VIPKID program… Let me first tell you that it does honestly take some time to get started and build up a client base. I’m about 6 months in (January 2019-June 2019) and am literally just now getting some regular students. Before then, I’d get randomly booked here and there.
But once you get your profile amped up, classroom in order, and kids begging for more classes from you, the amount of money you make is based on the amount of time slots you open for parents to book you.
I open slots Monday-Friday during the morning as of right now, since we aren’t currently traveling too much. I teach on average about 3 classes a day. This is 75 minutes of your time! Remember, each class is a base pay of between $7-$9. Then add those awesome incentives to your pay… In the end, I make about $22 per hour!
I teach with VIPKID to have some supplemental income rolling in while we travel. I love the flexibility it offers! I also love the concept of teaching when I want and where I want – VIPKID offers this to all teachers! So long as you have a stable internet connection and a space to build up a background for your classroom, you’re all set and ready to start brining home the bacon.
If I didn’t answer your question, or if you have one about what is written, please comment below! I will get back with you ASAP. Fellow VIPKID teachers have to stick together! We are a very supportive community, so don’t feel like your question is irrelevant.
OR you could click here to be directed to the VIPKID sign-up page to check it out for yourself! If it asks you for a referral code, just copy and paste this: TAYLO0232 .